Friday, December 16, 2011

Review: Monkey House 12/7

" Last night I saw my friends' band, Gloaming, play at the Monkey House. One of their songs felt like coming home to a dark house when you're drunk and sad. Another song felt like meeting someone and having a perfect 16 hours with them and then never seeing or hearing from them again and being really okay with that. Another song felt like the joy of remembering a sensation that you had forgotten about, like feeling warmth on your skin for the first time after a long winter or the the comforting smell of your Nana's perfume after not seeing her for months. I don't follow music the way a lot of my friends do, I'm not moved by music the way a lot of my friends are, but last night I felt like I got punched in the face with a fist full of peonies. Part of it, I think, is that they are very talented, and another part of it was watching people I know and love make something beautiful and unique and completely a product of their collective energies. It was them, in noise form. And it blew my mind open. "

-Christine Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment